Isle of Dogs pupils join MP Fitzpatrick for ‘sea dogs’ Mass at St Paul’s
- Credit: George Green's
Pupils who returned from an adventurous voyage under sail aboard a Tall Ship paid tribute for their “safe delivery” at the annual Seafarers Mass.
The three seniors from George Green’s Secondary on the Isle of Dogs were selected by the crew of the Tall Ship Company to carry its flag at St Paul’s Cathedral in the City.
They had taken part in a week’s voyage from the Millwall Docks sailing around the Channel and The Solent on a 60ft sailing craft.
“It’s a great honour for them to take part in such a prestigious service at St Paul’s,” a staff member at their school said. “The boys had a great day in the City and even met our local MP.”
Poplar & Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick also attended the service and joined the youngsters afterwards for a souvenir picture on the cathedral steps.
Other Tower Hamlets secondary schools taking part in last month’s voyage were Langdon Park, Morpeth, Oakland’s and St Paul’s Way aboard the good ship Stavros Niarchos.
The pupils all earned a Royal Yachting certificate from the Tall Ships Youth Trust.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
The ship set off from West India Quay with a full-time professional crew and sailed down the Thames and around the coast, reaching Dartmouth in four days, teaching the youngsters to sail, navigate, set the sails out, climb the yards and haul ropes as a team, while on look-out for other vessels.
They also had to do the ship’s washing up!