Job hunters can ‘Step’ into Gateway Housing’s workshops for placements
- Credit: Gateway
Anyone looking for a career in a competitive job market in London’s deprive East End can find it hard to stay confident. So an employment training programme is being run by Gateway Housing Association at Mile End to change this.
Its ‘Step’ programme helps develop employability skills which has already had impressive results since it began last year—90 per cent of those joining have secured either full-time or part-time jobs, while 62 people have been helped into education, training or volunteering programmes.
“The course has really helped my confidence,” 18-year-old Shujel Ahmed revealed. “I was nervous at first and didn’t feel comfortable talking to people I didn’t know.
“But now I’ve secured a work placement with Sainsbury’s where I’ve met new people and experienced first-hand what happens in a typical day on the shop floor.”
Gateway is holding another three days of free workshops at ‘The Zone’ in the Mile End Road next week, run by career experts who help develop CV and interview skills, communicate with confidence and plan for personal development and money management.
You may also want to watch:
All those taking part next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday receive an accredited Level 1 ‘Award in Employability Skills’ at the end.
Co-ordinator Neda Haghshenas said: “What makes the workshops so valuable is our trainees enjoying the social interaction.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
“Those taking part come from very diverse backgrounds, from the long-term unemployed to recent graduates, sharing their personal journey, learning and building confidence in the process.”
The trainees also get further support to help them into work placements and full time positions.
Neda added: “The accredited qualification is just a bonus on top of all this.”
Those interested in joining Gateway’s free ‘Step’ workshops at The Zone at 409-413 Mile End Road, opposite Mile End Underground station, can call 020-8709 4499 or email STEP@gatewayhousing.org.uk