Job hunters can ‘Step’ into Gateway Housing’s workshops for placements
- Credit: Gateway
Anyone looking for a career in a competitive job market in London’s deprive East End can find it hard to stay confident. So an employment training programme is being run by Gateway Housing Association at Mile End to change this.
Its ‘Step’ programme helps develop employability skills which has already had impressive results since it began last year—90 per cent of those joining have secured either full-time or part-time jobs, while 62 people have been helped into education, training or volunteering programmes.
“The course has really helped my confidence,” 18-year-old Shujel Ahmed revealed. “I was nervous at first and didn’t feel comfortable talking to people I didn’t know.
“But now I’ve secured a work placement with Sainsbury’s where I’ve met new people and experienced first-hand what happens in a typical day on the shop floor.”
Gateway is holding another three days of free workshops at ‘The Zone’ in the Mile End Road next week, run by career experts who help develop CV and interview skills, communicate with confidence and plan for personal development and money management.
You may also want to watch:
All those taking part next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday receive an accredited Level 1 ‘Award in Employability Skills’ at the end.
Co-ordinator Neda Haghshenas said: “What makes the workshops so valuable is our trainees enjoying the social interaction.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 10 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
“Those taking part come from very diverse backgrounds, from the long-term unemployed to recent graduates, sharing their personal journey, learning and building confidence in the process.”
The trainees also get further support to help them into work placements and full time positions.
Neda added: “The accredited qualification is just a bonus on top of all this.”
Those interested in joining Gateway’s free ‘Step’ workshops at The Zone at 409-413 Mile End Road, opposite Mile End Underground station, can call 020-8709 4499 or email STEP@gatewayhousing.org.uk