Job hunters can ‘Step’ into Gateway Housing’s workshops for placements
- Credit: Gateway
Anyone looking for a career in a competitive job market in London’s deprive East End can find it hard to stay confident. So an employment training programme is being run by Gateway Housing Association at Mile End to change this.
Its ‘Step’ programme helps develop employability skills which has already had impressive results since it began last year—90 per cent of those joining have secured either full-time or part-time jobs, while 62 people have been helped into education, training or volunteering programmes.
“The course has really helped my confidence,” 18-year-old Shujel Ahmed revealed. “I was nervous at first and didn’t feel comfortable talking to people I didn’t know.
“But now I’ve secured a work placement with Sainsbury’s where I’ve met new people and experienced first-hand what happens in a typical day on the shop floor.”
Gateway is holding another three days of free workshops at ‘The Zone’ in the Mile End Road next week, run by career experts who help develop CV and interview skills, communicate with confidence and plan for personal development and money management.
You may also want to watch:
All those taking part next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday receive an accredited Level 1 ‘Award in Employability Skills’ at the end.
Co-ordinator Neda Haghshenas said: “What makes the workshops so valuable is our trainees enjoying the social interaction.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 6 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 7 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 8 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 9 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 10 Opposing 'privatisation of NHS by stealth'
“Those taking part come from very diverse backgrounds, from the long-term unemployed to recent graduates, sharing their personal journey, learning and building confidence in the process.”
The trainees also get further support to help them into work placements and full time positions.
Neda added: “The accredited qualification is just a bonus on top of all this.”
Those interested in joining Gateway’s free ‘Step’ workshops at The Zone at 409-413 Mile End Road, opposite Mile End Underground station, can call 020-8709 4499 or email STEP@gatewayhousing.org.uk