Kids can’t wait to get back to school—and lessons in Vicky Park
KIDS are looking forward next term to swapping their stuffy classroom for the great outdoors. Pupils from Old Ford Primary are just a few blocks from East London’s famous Victoria Park. So their teachers think it’s the ideal place for some of their lessons, especially PE (pictured) and their wildlife subject
KIDS are looking forward next term to swapping their stuffy classroom for the great outdoors.
Pupils from Old Ford Primary are just a few blocks from East London's famous Victoria Park.
So their teachers think it's the ideal place for some of their lessons, especially PE (pictured) and their wildlife subject.
The Year-1 kids couldn't agree more-they've already had some lessons in the park before they broke up for the summer last month.
You may also want to watch:
"The five and six-year-olds really enjoy learning outside," said Hanako Miyao, head of Year-1 at the school.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
"The children learn from first-hand experience and it helps to develop their confidence and independence.
"It's been such a success, that we're looking at doing if for other years as well."
Outside lessons have also included geography and science.
The children have learnt lots of new skills with the help of Tower Hamlets park rangers.
They have planted bulbs and shrubs, discovered the wildlife in the ponds, taken part in a litter pick and made rafts from materials they found.
Around 90 children will be walking over to Vicky Park with their teachers and helpers for their lessons every Monday afternoon next term.
Tower Hamlets Council has reached Stage-2 of a �5 million National Heritage funding bid to refurbish Victoria Park. It holds a two-day public consultation next Saturday and Sunday (August 15 and 16) with a hot-air balloon taking youngsters up 90ft up for a bird's eye view of the proposals.