London Islamic pupils get City Hall award for improving community life in Whitechapel
- Credit: LBTH
Pupils from Whitechapel’s London Islamic School have won a City Hall award for “environment safety and security” in the community.
They have been focusing on energy and safety in school and in the Whitechapel neighbourhood.
One project was being recruited last year to help Tower Hamlets council’s anti-litter campaign along Whitechapel Road and running other schemes to make community life safer.
“Volunteers like these are an unstoppable force,” deputy London Mayor for Education Joanne McCartney said. “The work they do is inspiring, breaking down barriers and bringing communities together while giving people the chance to improve their skills.”
The pupils started youth assemblies, a coffee morning with parents to introduce a ‘pledge’ wall, ‘walking zone’ maps to encourage more journeys on foot and a ‘travel buddy’ scheme for getting to and from school safely and responsibly.
You may also want to watch:
Dame Barbara Windsor and designer Wayne Hemingway presented the ‘Team London’ awards at City Hall last night to volunteers from all over London who work to improve community life.
Steve Crook, a volunteer with the Hoxton Trust in Shoreditch, was another award winner for ‘environment and healthy living’ who has been looking after the Hoxton community garden for eight years.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 6 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 7 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime