Children at Manorfield Primary in Poplar to tread the boards in Disney production at the Luyceum
- Credit: Google
Disney musicals are coming to a school near you when pupils at Poplar’s Manorfield Primary and their teachers produce their own West End show based on classic children’s stories.
The school is one of five in London selected to take part in the second year of the ‘Disney Musicals in Schools’ programme from October, to make a 30-minute production adapted from a classic Disney film such as The Lion King, Aladdin, The Aristocats and The Jungle Book.
“It’s fantastic for our children working alongside musical theatre professionals,” Manorfield’s headteacher Paul Jackson said. “The professionals are creating an amazing experience for the children.”
The young performers from Manorfield Primary take the stage at the Lyceum theatre off The Strand next March.
The 17-week programme with Eastside Educational Trust is run by theatre professionals who will be teaching the teachers how to produce musicals and make theatre arts part of the curriculum for years to come.
Eastside’s artistic director Matt Lane said: “The children will learn the skills to produce their own musical which we hope develop into a lifelong love of the arts.”
You may also want to watch:
The programme involved nearly 300 children and 23 teachers in its first year in performances in front of audiences totaling 4,500.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 8 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 9 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 10 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs