Watch out! Mickey Mouse is crossing the road, drivers are warned
- Credit: Ben Queenborough/PinPep/Disney J
Mouse crossings and duck crossings could soon appear at schools and nurseries in east London as part of a new national road safety campaign.
Mickey Mouse has been added to a set of odd road signs along with Minnie Mouse and Donald Duck by Britain's official road sign designer Margaret Calvert to teach children how to stay safe in the streets.
Margaret is behind the official signage on all British roads who has turned her pen to using characters from Disney's preschool TV show Mickey and the Roadster Racers helping parents and teachers keep children safe.
"They are a fun take on my original 'children crossing' signs," Margaret revealed. "I hope these cartoon characters capture the attention of children and parents about road safety."
The signs are being released on the Brake road safety charity's website free for parents, schools and nurseries. Six Disney characters are featured in the interactive guides.
Dave Nichols from the Brake charity said: "Having the support of Britain's official road sign designer is a powerful way to have these iconic characters give children a voice and call on grown-ups to drive safely."
You may also want to watch:
The charity's campaign follows a survey last month with 1,000 parents who drive their kids to school, showing two-in-five believe it's not safe walking them. The survey also found 83pc of drivers didn't know what many signs meant in the Highway Code.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 10 Man dies on Isle of Dogs