More East End nursery places planned by Barnardo’s to meet shortage
- Credit: Barnardo's
Free places for more two-year-old toddlers are being be created from September in London’s East End when Barnardo’s children’s charity expands its nursery school.
The charity has transformed a large space next to its existing Bromley-by-Bow nursery and plans to take in up to 48 more two-year-olds in addition to the 72 spaces it currently offers for toddlers aged up to five.
Money for the expansion is coming from Tower Hamlets Council to help tackle the East End’s shortage of childcare places.
“There’s a need for more places,” nursery manager Anne-Marie Mullings said. “There are a lot of families in the area and more homes are being built close by. Once we open fully in September, children will be encouraged to explore and learn and play together.”
The open plan building in Bromley High Street, behind the Bow Road, is to have indoor planting, a “messy and wet” play zone and walls which the children are to be encouraged to “decorate”. A meeting space for parents and staff and a multi-faith room prayer room are also planned.
Older children aged three to five who previously had places at Barnardo’s satellite Bow nursery centre in nearby Bruce Road moved into the expanded nursery two weeks ago.
A staggered entry is planned for the new places for two-year-olds from the start of September. Prospective parents are being asked to call 020-8983 7973, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 9 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021