New ‘pollution combating’ secondary school to open in Wapping
- Credit: TH Cll
A new “pollution combating” secondary school is set to be built just minutes from Tower Bridge.
Tower Hamlets Council and the Department for Education announced plans for the Mulberry Academy London Dock in Wapping.
It will be the first new secondary school in the borough in more than 20 years and will open in Wapping’s London Dock development in September 2022.
Tower Hamlets Council said the school will combat pollution through “pioneering passivhaus’ innovation”- a system which reduces a building’s ecological footprint.
It will “guarantee low energy performance and exceptional internal air quality”, a spokesman said.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor John Biggs added: “I’m pleased that this new pioneering school will be setting up its home in the heart of Tower Hamlets.”
The non-selective, state funded, mixed school for 11–18 year olds will be run by the Mulberry Schools Trust.
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Ruel Sotiriou has a big role to play for Leyton Orient says boss Jackett
- 8 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 9 'Ballet at its absolute best' coming to Canary Wharf this weekend
- 10 Kitchen blaze sees warning issued over 'strange noises' from appliances
The Trust already runs the Mulberry Academy, previously called Bethnal Green Academy.
Dr Vanessa Ogden, CEO of Mulberry Schools Trust, said: “It is a privilege to lead the creation of a new school for Wapping.
“Together with local people, we want Mulberry Academy London Dock to be a beacon school in Wapping – an opportunity it has missed for too long. We will do our best to serve this ambition to deliver a school of which we will all be proud.”