New ‘pollution combating’ secondary school to open in Wapping
- Credit: TH Cll
A new “pollution combating” secondary school is set to be built just minutes from Tower Bridge.
Tower Hamlets Council and the Department for Education announced plans for the Mulberry Academy London Dock in Wapping.
It will be the first new secondary school in the borough in more than 20 years and will open in Wapping’s London Dock development in September 2022.
Tower Hamlets Council said the school will combat pollution through “pioneering passivhaus’ innovation”- a system which reduces a building’s ecological footprint.
It will “guarantee low energy performance and exceptional internal air quality”, a spokesman said.
Mayor John Biggs added: “I’m pleased that this new pioneering school will be setting up its home in the heart of Tower Hamlets.”
The non-selective, state funded, mixed school for 11–18 year olds will be run by the Mulberry Schools Trust.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 5 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 6 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 7 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 8 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Five classic Rolling Stones moments at BST Hyde Park
- 10 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
The Trust already runs the Mulberry Academy, previously called Bethnal Green Academy.
Dr Vanessa Ogden, CEO of Mulberry Schools Trust, said: “It is a privilege to lead the creation of a new school for Wapping.
“Together with local people, we want Mulberry Academy London Dock to be a beacon school in Wapping – an opportunity it has missed for too long. We will do our best to serve this ambition to deliver a school of which we will all be proud.”