New head appointed who turned Mile End’s Solebay Primary academy round
- Credit: Paradigm Trust
A school that turned itself around from a poor Ofsted inspection in London’s deprived East End to become an academy has appointed the woman behind its improvement as its new head-teacher.
Janet Baker has been made permanent Principal at Mile End’s Solebay Primary by the Paradigm Trust that now runs it.
She has been at the school in Solebay Street as assistant Principal since September, 2014, when the trust took it over, then became its interim Principal last September after having worked on its radical transformation.
“We have made much-needed improvements for our pupils,” she said.
“But we need to continue to work hard to ensure they receive the education they deserve and are entitled to.”
Ofsted gave Solebay Primary an overall rating of ‘good’ only last month, with most assessment categories marked as ‘outstanding’.
A previous Ofsted inspection two years ago said it “could do better”, but has now improved as a result of new early years provision after the trust took over the school management.
Pupils aged three and four joined for the first time with the new nursery opened in September and an additional 73 pupils joining older year groups.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 4 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 9 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 10 Call for pictures of your Platinum Jubilee street parties and celebrations
Paradigm Trust’s executive Amanda Phillips said: “Janet was an obvious choice as permanent Principal and was unanimously appointed by the Board. She has overseen some remarkable transformations during her time at Solebay and we’re confident we have more developments to look forward to”.
Janet, previously Assistant Principal at Poplar’s Culloden Primary, also run by Paradigm, has worked for the trust since 2013.