New head appointed who turned Mile End’s Solebay Primary academy round
- Credit: Paradigm Trust
A school that turned itself around from a poor Ofsted inspection in London’s deprived East End to become an academy has appointed the woman behind its improvement as its new head-teacher.
Janet Baker has been made permanent Principal at Mile End’s Solebay Primary by the Paradigm Trust that now runs it.
She has been at the school in Solebay Street as assistant Principal since September, 2014, when the trust took it over, then became its interim Principal last September after having worked on its radical transformation.
“We have made much-needed improvements for our pupils,” she said.
“But we need to continue to work hard to ensure they receive the education they deserve and are entitled to.”
Ofsted gave Solebay Primary an overall rating of ‘good’ only last month, with most assessment categories marked as ‘outstanding’.
You may also want to watch:
A previous Ofsted inspection two years ago said it “could do better”, but has now improved as a result of new early years provision after the trust took over the school management.
Pupils aged three and four joined for the first time with the new nursery opened in September and an additional 73 pupils joining older year groups.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
Paradigm Trust’s executive Amanda Phillips said: “Janet was an obvious choice as permanent Principal and was unanimously appointed by the Board. She has overseen some remarkable transformations during her time at Solebay and we’re confident we have more developments to look forward to”.
Janet, previously Assistant Principal at Poplar’s Culloden Primary, also run by Paradigm, has worked for the trust since 2013.