Now East End’s first primary school wants to opt out of Town Hall control
Protests are being aired tonight (Weds) at a public meeting called over plans by the first primary school in London’s East End’s wanting to opt-out of local authority control.
The governors of Sir William Burrough Primary in Limehouse are proposing to apply for ‘academy’ status to take the school away from Tower Hamlets Local Education Authority.
Teachers’ campaigners led by the NUT union who are against opting-out hold a public meeting at 6pm at Dora community hall nearby.
They want to stop Sir William Burrough Primary following governors at Bethnal Green Technology secondary who voted two weeks ago to become an academy.
The campaign is being run by three teacher unions and three other public sector unions, spearheaded by the NUT’s Tower Hamlets general secretary Alex Kenny, the main speaker tonight.
You may also want to watch:
A joint union statement said: “The public consultation is too fast without a chance for all parents, staff and the community to consider the issues.”
“Parents and staff should be able to hear both sides of the argument and vote in a secret ballot.”
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley
But many parents at the school have already opted for ‘academy’ status in a survey where 77 said ‘yes’ and 40 said ‘no’, following two consultation meetings. The consultation period due to end earlier this month has now been extended.