Oaklands Secondary pupils address education conference in Norway on ‘inclusion’
- Credit: Oaklands School
Headteacher Patrice Canavan was asked to address a major education conference in Norway with two of her sixthform pupils from Bethnal Green’s Oaklands Secondary about ‘pupil inclusion’.
They explained to audiences of up to 90 delegates about the school’s ‘every child matters’ agenda. The theme of the two-day conference in the Norwegan city of Bergen was about education inclusion.
“We were taken out to dinner on the second evening by Reidar, a specialist from Bergen University, for a traditional Norwegian food,” Ms Canavan said on her return to east London. “Reidar is highly thought of in Bergen and has been complimentary about our practices through his visits to Oaklands.”
Reidar visited Oaklands earlier this year and says he “fell in love” with the school and the inclusive way it’s run.
Sixthformers Elliott Gordon and Nazia Islam, both 16, seem to be the “starts of the show” when they addressed the conference. Both explained their own case studies. Ellliot’s topic was the ‘looked after’ child.
You may also want to watch:
The invitations to address the conference followed a visit earlier this year by a Norwegian delegation of head teachers, psychologists, social workers and local authority officials to see how Tower Hamlets schools deal with the challenges of teaching in the inner city urban environment.
A Danish delegation is due to visit the school in Old Bethnal Green Road next term.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones