Old Ford Housing in canal launch for its jobs programme afloat on a boat
- Credit: Old Ford Housing
Finding a job when you’re out of work doesn’t normally involve getting on a barge and touring the canals of London’s East End.
But that’s what 50 people looking for work were doing when their social housing landlords put on a ‘job brokerage’ event on the Hertford Union canal by Victoria Park.
Circle Old Ford also laid on activities like plant-potting and basket-weaving.
“We offer our tenants much more than just a home,” the housing organisation’s Christine Hevey said. “We find them a job, help get a new skill or get them money advice, working with other organisations to benefit the community.”
The event at the Growing Concerns social enterprise in Wick Lane, near Hackney Wick, in partnership with the Regent’s Canal East End Heritage project, was to publicise Circle Housing’s community development work including IT skills and job training such as construction.
You may also want to watch:
Circle Housing is currently aiding 40 people to get off ‘the dole’ and has helped around 850 people into training in the last 12 months alone.
It is involved in Tower Hamlets council’s Skillsmatch ‘job brokerage’ programme starting this month, which is helping those out of work to spot jobs that match their skills, or find roles they might be suited for which would otherwise be unavailable, such as administrative or hospitality positions.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
The programme teaches writing a CV and interview techniques for meeting a potential employer.