Old Ford Housing in canal launch for its jobs programme afloat on a boat
- Credit: Old Ford Housing
Finding a job when you’re out of work doesn’t normally involve getting on a barge and touring the canals of London’s East End.
But that’s what 50 people looking for work were doing when their social housing landlords put on a ‘job brokerage’ event on the Hertford Union canal by Victoria Park.
Circle Old Ford also laid on activities like plant-potting and basket-weaving.
“We offer our tenants much more than just a home,” the housing organisation’s Christine Hevey said. “We find them a job, help get a new skill or get them money advice, working with other organisations to benefit the community.”
The event at the Growing Concerns social enterprise in Wick Lane, near Hackney Wick, in partnership with the Regent’s Canal East End Heritage project, was to publicise Circle Housing’s community development work including IT skills and job training such as construction.
You may also want to watch:
Circle Housing is currently aiding 40 people to get off ‘the dole’ and has helped around 850 people into training in the last 12 months alone.
It is involved in Tower Hamlets council’s Skillsmatch ‘job brokerage’ programme starting this month, which is helping those out of work to spot jobs that match their skills, or find roles they might be suited for which would otherwise be unavailable, such as administrative or hospitality positions.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
The programme teaches writing a CV and interview techniques for meeting a potential employer.