‘On yer bike’ travel champ urges pupils at Poplar’s Mayflower School
- Credit: TfL
A school’s ‘travel champion’ encouraging children in London’s East End to walk or cycle more each day has been given a Bike It Plus Exemplar award at City Hall.
She has independently introduced cycling activities at Poplar’s Mayflower Primary and kept the momentum going with bike-related assemblies, running a ‘Bike It Crew’, a kit sale and the Big Pedal competition.
Mayflower is one of nine schools in east London which received the Transport for London accolades at City Hall on Wednesday as part of a ‘Sustainable Travel’ programme.
It won praise for its youngsters walking and cycling to school or using public transport more, rather than relying on the family car.
“What children learn now will have a lasting effect on the future of the environment,” TfL director Leon Daniels said. “That’s why we encourage more schools to sign up to the programme.”
You may also want to watch:
Schools are judged on the number of projects which change travelling habits by awarding bronze, silver and gold accreditation. Children, parents and teachers are being encouraged to adopt “more sustainable” ways of getting to school.
Other east London schools alongside Mayflower presented with awards were Gayhurst Primary in London Fields, St Scholastica RC Primary in Lower Clapton, Sir Thomas Abney Primary, Jubilee Primary and Tawhid Boys’ Secondary all in Stoke Newington, Cumberland in Plaistow, Highlands Primary in Ilford and Coopers’ Company & Coborn in Upminster.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe