‘On yer bike’ travel champ urges pupils at Poplar’s Mayflower School
- Credit: TfL
A school’s ‘travel champion’ encouraging children in London’s East End to walk or cycle more each day has been given a Bike It Plus Exemplar award at City Hall.
She has independently introduced cycling activities at Poplar’s Mayflower Primary and kept the momentum going with bike-related assemblies, running a ‘Bike It Crew’, a kit sale and the Big Pedal competition.
Mayflower is one of nine schools in east London which received the Transport for London accolades at City Hall on Wednesday as part of a ‘Sustainable Travel’ programme.
It won praise for its youngsters walking and cycling to school or using public transport more, rather than relying on the family car.
“What children learn now will have a lasting effect on the future of the environment,” TfL director Leon Daniels said. “That’s why we encourage more schools to sign up to the programme.”
You may also want to watch:
Schools are judged on the number of projects which change travelling habits by awarding bronze, silver and gold accreditation. Children, parents and teachers are being encouraged to adopt “more sustainable” ways of getting to school.
Other east London schools alongside Mayflower presented with awards were Gayhurst Primary in London Fields, St Scholastica RC Primary in Lower Clapton, Sir Thomas Abney Primary, Jubilee Primary and Tawhid Boys’ Secondary all in Stoke Newington, Cumberland in Plaistow, Highlands Primary in Ilford and Coopers’ Company & Coborn in Upminster.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets