Pirates are moving in to take over Barnardo’s Big Toddle cash-raiser
- Credit: Barnardo's
The Big Toddle walk for under-fives is back for 2015 and—shiver me timbers!—the theme this year is pirates.
The buccaneering Barnardo’s children’s charity is appealing to nurseries, parents and child minders to repeat last year’s fundraising success by joining The Big Toddle, which is running (pardon the pun) from Monday for two weeks.
Thousands of children and adults dressing as pirates are walking the suggested half-mile with friends and family to raise money for the charity.
Fundraisers in East London who organised 15 toddle walks by Tower Hamlets nursery groups last year netted £2,773, helping Barnardo’s support Britain’s most disadvantaged children. Among the contributions was £557 from one group in Canary Wharf and £475 from a group in Bow.
Families up and down the country have raised £13.8 million since The Big Toddle began a few years ago. Last year alone raised £680,000, including £66,000 in Greater London.
You may also want to watch:
Barnardo’s aims this year to collect an even bigger treasure trove of coins to help children who are most in need.
The main Big Toddle campaign which kicks off on Monday goes on till June 12—but there is no time limit, with groups encouraged to organise fundraising toddles throughout the summer.
Nurseries and toddler groups are being urged to register free for Barnardo’s Big Toddle to receive an event pack with ideas on fun activities.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid