Plain sailing for Yachting Association to ‘push the boat out’ for half-term
- Credit: RYA
A sailing club and two watersports centres in London’s East End are among 19 centres across London offering free or low-cost courses during the school half-term to try out new sports.
They have signed up to the Royal Yachting Association’s national Push the Boat Out event, literally being “launched” over nine days between May 9 and 17.
The taster sessions introduce newcomers of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to sailing and windsurfing.
Events last year involved 260 clubs and centres throughout Britain with 17,000 people trying sailing or windsurfing for the first time.
This year is geared to showing what sports are available at each centre.
You may also want to watch:
Among the London clubs and centres already signed up are Shadwell Basin Outdoor Activity Centre, Shadwell Sailing Club and the Docklands Sailing & Watersports Centre on the Isle of Dogs.
The Shadwell centre at Shadwell Pierhead in Glamis Road provides watersports and activities, runs training courses, events and sessions for schools, groups and individuals throughout the year.
- 1 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 2 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 7 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 10 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
Shadwell Sailing Club, based at the Pierhead centre, offers sailing on the Thames. It meets every Tuesday at 6pm, for everyone from absolute novices to experienced sailors, and provides all the equipment. Full members also get offers of racing and weekend cruises.
The Docklands Sailing & Watersports Centre at Westferry Road, Millwall, at the west end of Millwall Outer Dock, is a purpose-built facility that is a recognised Yachting Association training centre with courses in sailing, windsurfing and powerboating.
It also offers British Canoe Union courses in paddlesports and is known for its dragon boat racing as well as sailing, kayaking and canoeing.