Professor Brian Cox hosts seventh summer school in Limehouse
- Credit: Archant
Celebrity scientist, Professor Brian Cox, ran his seventh summer school in Tower Hamlets yesterday.
St Paul’s Way Trust Science Summer School aimed to get 11-18-year-olds interested in careers in STEAM subjects – science, technology, engineering, arts and maths.
It’s hosted by Professor Cox, the celebrity physicist and TV presenter who specialises in astronomy.
Around 600 students attended the school, which took place at St Paul’s Trust Way School yesterday and Here East, in the Olympic Park, today.
There will be a special focus on women in science.
You may also want to watch:
The summer school looks to address skill shortages in the STEAM sector, by inspiring young people using practical workshops, guest speakers and ‘TED’ style talks.
This year saw talks from Professor Cox, engineer Roma Agrawal and astrophysicist Dr Chris Pearson. There were workshops on 3D printing, robotics, drawing with light and engineering for disaster relief.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 4 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Unmesh Desai: British Bangladeshi community is important part of the East End
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff