Professor Brian Cox hosts seventh summer school in Limehouse
- Credit: Archant
Celebrity scientist, Professor Brian Cox, ran his seventh summer school in Tower Hamlets yesterday.
St Paul’s Way Trust Science Summer School aimed to get 11-18-year-olds interested in careers in STEAM subjects – science, technology, engineering, arts and maths.
It’s hosted by Professor Cox, the celebrity physicist and TV presenter who specialises in astronomy.
Around 600 students attended the school, which took place at St Paul’s Trust Way School yesterday and Here East, in the Olympic Park, today.
There will be a special focus on women in science.
You may also want to watch:
The summer school looks to address skill shortages in the STEAM sector, by inspiring young people using practical workshops, guest speakers and ‘TED’ style talks.
This year saw talks from Professor Cox, engineer Roma Agrawal and astrophysicist Dr Chris Pearson. There were workshops on 3D printing, robotics, drawing with light and engineering for disaster relief.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 'Save our planet' plea from children to Cop26 world leaders