Public invited for sneak peak of new Watney Market Idea Store
The latest Idea Store, in Watney Market, is to open its doors tomorrow (Thursday) giving the public a sneak preview of the venue’s development.
Due to open formally in May, the branch of Tower Hamlets Council’s library and learning service in Commercial Road will replace the existing library in Watney Market.
Members of the public are being invited down to take a look at how work on the store is progressing, with tours of all three levels on offer. They can also quiz architects and officers on the development of the building.
Council chiefs hope the branch will replicate the successes of the Idea Store in Whitechapel Road, which they say attracts 700,000 visitors per year.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman said: “Libraries play an important role in the community, bringing people together by providing a range of excellent services including advice, training, classes and workshops all under one roof.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst many libraries up and down the country are closing and struggling to attract people through the doors we are bucking the national trend.”
- 1 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 2 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 5 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 8 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 10 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead