Public invited for sneak peak of new Watney Market Idea Store
The latest Idea Store, in Watney Market, is to open its doors tomorrow (Thursday) giving the public a sneak preview of the venue’s development.
Due to open formally in May, the branch of Tower Hamlets Council’s library and learning service in Commercial Road will replace the existing library in Watney Market.
Members of the public are being invited down to take a look at how work on the store is progressing, with tours of all three levels on offer. They can also quiz architects and officers on the development of the building.
Council chiefs hope the branch will replicate the successes of the Idea Store in Whitechapel Road, which they say attracts 700,000 visitors per year.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman said: “Libraries play an important role in the community, bringing people together by providing a range of excellent services including advice, training, classes and workshops all under one roof.
You may also want to watch:
“Whilst many libraries up and down the country are closing and struggling to attract people through the doors we are bucking the national trend.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 Disgraceful management of the pandemic