Pupils put Olympic water rafting venue to the test
Pupils from Tower Hamlets made a splash yesterday, at the only newly constructed Olympics venue, already open to the public.
The students from Bishop Challoner Sixth Form in Whitechapel and Oaklands School in Bethnal Green tackled the fast-flowing waters at Lee Valley White Water Centre.
The pupils got a taste of the 2012 Olympic venue as a part the centre’s Schools Festival. Their skills were tested as they rafted the same white water that the world’s best athletes will face next year during five days of intense competition on its Olympic Standard Competition Course. The venue at the River Lee Country Park in Hertfordshire will host canoe and kayak competitions during the games.
Oaklands PE Teacher Dan Forde said: “Today has been an unforgettable experience for all the pupils involved. I am sure they will be talking about this for a long time.”
Chair of the Olympics organising Committee Seb Coe, said: “The festival has been a fantastic way to bring the Olympic Games close to the young people. They can now say: I’ve raced the same course as the Olympians.”
You may also want to watch:
The six-day festival, funded by Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, is giving 2000 young people across London, Essex and Hertfordshire the chance to experience the Olympic venue.
The �31 million venue was the first newly-constructed Olympic venue to be completed when it opened at the end of 2010.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe