Pupils put Olympic water rafting venue to the test
Pupils from Tower Hamlets made a splash yesterday, at the only newly constructed Olympics venue, already open to the public.
The students from Bishop Challoner Sixth Form in Whitechapel and Oaklands School in Bethnal Green tackled the fast-flowing waters at Lee Valley White Water Centre.
The pupils got a taste of the 2012 Olympic venue as a part the centre’s Schools Festival. Their skills were tested as they rafted the same white water that the world’s best athletes will face next year during five days of intense competition on its Olympic Standard Competition Course. The venue at the River Lee Country Park in Hertfordshire will host canoe and kayak competitions during the games.
Oaklands PE Teacher Dan Forde said: “Today has been an unforgettable experience for all the pupils involved. I am sure they will be talking about this for a long time.”
Chair of the Olympics organising Committee Seb Coe, said: “The festival has been a fantastic way to bring the Olympic Games close to the young people. They can now say: I’ve raced the same course as the Olympians.”
You may also want to watch:
The six-day festival, funded by Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, is giving 2000 young people across London, Essex and Hertfordshire the chance to experience the Olympic venue.
The �31 million venue was the first newly-constructed Olympic venue to be completed when it opened at the end of 2010.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 3 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 10 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road