Queen Mary’s University opens a ‘pathway to coding’ for disadvantaged schoolkids
- Credit: QMUL
Applications have opened to join a new programme that gets schoolchildren into computer coding, especially those from deprived backgrounds.
The Pathways to Coding programme developed by east London’s Queen Mary University has just been awarded £40,000 by the Sutton Trust, a think-tank which aims to improve social mobility through education.
The four-year project starting this month swith two cohorts of students is designed to support disadvantaged Year 12 and Year 13 pupils, but with priority given to those who are or have been in care, looked after or accommodated.
“This opens up coding to those from disadvantaged backgrounds,” Queen Mary’s Danielle Russo explained. “Hopefully it inspires them to take coding even further.”
The programme run by the university’s School of Electronic Engineering & Computer Science at the Mile End campus includes sessions focussed on both the academic side and on career possibilities. It also has talks from industry figures and academics work as well as opportunities for work-experience.
You may also want to watch:
The two cohorts will be supported through years 12 and 13 with activities such as e-mentoring, coding clubs, campus coding days, talks and a “hackathon” residential summer school.
Applications to join Queen Mary’s Pathways to Coding programme close on September 30.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 6 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 8 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 9 Fundraiser launched after school families suffer 'so many Covid deaths'
- 10 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape