Who better to help architects redesign the V&A’s Museum of Childhood than children themselves?
- Credit: Jeff Spicer/Getty Images
An entire gallery at Bethnal Green’s Museum of Childhood has been turned into a working design studio ready for the biggest redevelopment in the building’s 147-year history.
Youngsters and other visitors are being invited to give their opinions about the work so far in progress, test out ideas and talk directly with the designers from AOC architecture practice.
The 'open studio' event at the iconic Victorian centre in Cambridge Heath Road includes a 'test lab' to experiment with new ways of displaying items to interact with the V&A's collection.
"We hope to create a space that sparks excitement, curiosity and a sense of ownership," the museum's creative director Gina Koutsika said. "It's our mission to create a powerhouse of design and creativity with our mandate set by schoolchildren to become the world's 'most joyful' museum and an essential civic space for the community."
The project is now in its second year with plans so far that include a 'kaleidoscope' staircase in the main hall inspired by optical toys, a re-landscaped front entrance for better access for school groups and mums with buggies and new learning studios.
You may also want to watch:
Architect Geoff Shearcroft said: "Our proposals work collaboratively with children, experts and staff to develop and test designs on a one-to-one scale to create a museum that's genuinely inclusive and democratic."
More details of Museum of Childhood workshops are available on line.
- 1 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules
- 3 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 4 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 5 Shamima Begum will find out this week if she can return from Syria
- 6 Fear of mental health crisis as loneliness rises among disabled
- 7 Flower markets appeal to be allowed to open in time for Mother's Day
- 8 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 9 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
- 10 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl