Royal London Hospital children pipped at post by engineers without borders
- Credit: QM Uni
Medical student Harriette Pearson was just pipped at the post when she was shortlisted for a national volunteering award for her project to help children in hospital.
She made it through to the top five ‘Student Volunteer of the Year’ A-List at Monday’s ceremony in the Houses of Parliament for her ‘Project Play’ at the Royal London in Whitechapel.
“I was definitely surprised by the nomination,” Harriette said. “But the event was an excellent occasion to buy a new dress.”
The 22-year-old Queen Mary University student won the judges over for getting 47 fellow students involved with youngsters in the hospital by setting up volunteer play groups at the nearby hospital.
But she was scooped by an engineering student from Bristol who picked up the award for work he had done for Engineers Without Borders.
You may also want to watch:
Harriette’s project makes hospital life better with activities outside the children’s usual specialist play hours to help boost their confidence and response to treatment.
Student Hubs, which organises the yearly awards, said the judges agreed unanimously that Harriette’s project “stood out and belonged in the top five” and recognised her abilities to “overcome barriers faced by busy medical students.”
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report