Sally Gunnell pays George Green’s school a hurdling visit...
Former Olympic champion Sally Gunnell paid a flying visit to George Green’s school last week to give pupils tips on how to overcome life’s hurdles.
She appeared at the school’s annual awards ceremony held in recognition of pupils’ academic excellence in this summer’s exams.
“Once you start worrying about other people you get distracted from your goal”, she said.
“The trick is to visualise what it looks like to be first and push all other thoughts out of your head.”
Pupils who had starred in the summer’s exams were presented with awards from the hurdler, who won gold in the 400m hurdles at the Barcelona 1992 Olympics.
You may also want to watch:
The ceremony went ahead despite head teacher Kenny Frederick’s ongoing dispute with exam regulator Ofqual over changes to the GCSE English grade boundaries which left many pupils disappointed with their results.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 10 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges