Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- Credit: Scouts/Martyn Milner
The east London Scouts have just launched a brand new early years programme for four to five-year-olds with new groups located in Hackney and Tower Hamlets.
The Squirrels programme is the first new addition to the UK Scouts in 35 years. It was launched to support early years children to learn essential life skills.
The Scouts are calling on grown-up volunteers however, to help the roll out of groups in east London.
Volunteers will help Squirrels be active, explore nature and have fun learning outdoors with friends.
Chief Scout Bear Grylls urged people to volunteer and for donors to get behind the programme, adding: “I'm so glad that younger children from East London will now have the chance to join our family of Scouts and develop skills for life.
You may also want to watch:
"We know from our pilot programme that four and five-year-olds can really benefit from the activities that Squirrels offers. All of us at the Scouts believe that by offering opportunities at this early age, inspiring a sense of wonder, fun and curiosity, we can have a long-lasting, positive impact on young peoples' lives."
The Royal Foundation’s research 2020 on early years recently recognised the lifelong benefits of good quality early education.
Ofsted research from October 2020 also revealed that in communities hardest hit by the pandemic, early years children have returned less confident and more anxious after lockdowns.
The Squirrels programme aims to create a safe environment for children to develop and learn new things, while having outdoor adventures and earning a new set of badges.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 8 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
Activities will include pitching a blanket tent, plating seeds and learning how to spend 50p in a local shop.
To support the expanded programme the Scouts are looking for 5,000 new volunteers for east London groups.
Some east London Squirrel groups have already opened. The Poplar group will open on September 23, The Isle of Dogs group on October 2, Bethnal Green on October 3, Stoke Newington on October 4, Tower Hamlets on October 8 and Stepney Scout groups on October 9.
To find out more about the Squirrels programme contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0345 3001818