Senrab FC return from World Youth Cup in Sweden
Youth football team Senrab FC’s club secretary Tony Carroll has described their recent participation in the World Youth Cup in Sweden as an “awesome trip.”
The 13 adults and 62 youth players from the club who travelled to the competition in Gothenburg, Sweden, returned on Sunday. Despite ongoing financial struggles, they were able to attend after tournament organisers waived the costs of entry and accommodation, Crossrail donated �2,500 towards travel costs, and player’s families contributed �150 each.
Mr Carroll, who this evening receives an award from the Essex FA for 30 years serving youth football, was grateful for the opportunity to compete at such a high level.
“It was an awesome, awesome trip from our point of view, and the kids have been blown away by it. It was the most magnificent thing I’ve ever been to in my life.
“I’m just so glad we went, and it’s opened our eyes to how high quality youth football can be.”
You may also want to watch:
The tournament featured teams from 80 countries around the world. Senrab faced teams from Japan, Australia, Iceland amongst other countries, and many of the teams they came up against were associated with professional clubs.
Mr Carroll added: “The standard of the competition was so high, and we would love to go back next year if we can.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week