Sunshine takes Oaklands School spring fair by surprise after rain was forecast
- Credit: Archant
The unsuspected good weather ironically disappointed fundraisers organising a school spring fair in east London.
The weather forecast was for rain, so Bethnal Green’s Oaklands Secondary decided to stage it indoors instead of in the open air.
The sun suddenly made an appearance after all—but too late to get all the stalls and attractions switched to the playground.
Takings were only £200, unlike last year’s £600 when the spring fair was in the open.
Oaklands holds fairs three times a year at Old Bethnal Green Road, so there’s hope July’s summer fair brings in the crowds to raise funds for school trips.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone can hire a stall and the public can buy or sell. Even head-teacher Patrice Canavan hired a stall herself and made £46 for the school.
Popular attraction was the cake decorating workshop with primary schoolchildren making a bee-line for the free goodies. Other stalls sold baby clothes, keys rings or crafts.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
“This event brings the community together,” the school’s Susan Sibley-Mason said. “We have a creative community who were selling Mother’s Day gifts, toys, glasswear, crafts and food from around the world.”
The Summer Fair on Sunday, July 9, opens 10.30am until 2pm. Hiring a stall is £8, from Susan on 020-7729 5308 (after the Easter break), or email email@example.com.