Sunshine takes Oaklands School spring fair by surprise after rain was forecast
- Credit: Archant
The unsuspected good weather ironically disappointed fundraisers organising a school spring fair in east London.
The weather forecast was for rain, so Bethnal Green’s Oaklands Secondary decided to stage it indoors instead of in the open air.
The sun suddenly made an appearance after all—but too late to get all the stalls and attractions switched to the playground.
Takings were only £200, unlike last year’s £600 when the spring fair was in the open.
Oaklands holds fairs three times a year at Old Bethnal Green Road, so there’s hope July’s summer fair brings in the crowds to raise funds for school trips.
Anyone can hire a stall and the public can buy or sell. Even head-teacher Patrice Canavan hired a stall herself and made £46 for the school.
Popular attraction was the cake decorating workshop with primary schoolchildren making a bee-line for the free goodies. Other stalls sold baby clothes, keys rings or crafts.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Fire brigade raises concerns over 51-storey Canary Wharf tower plans
- 4 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 5 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 6 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 7 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 8 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 9 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 10 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
“This event brings the community together,” the school’s Susan Sibley-Mason said. “We have a creative community who were selling Mother’s Day gifts, toys, glasswear, crafts and food from around the world.”
The Summer Fair on Sunday, July 9, opens 10.30am until 2pm. Hiring a stall is £8, from Susan on 020-7729 5308 (after the Easter break), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.