Sunshine takes Oaklands School spring fair by surprise after rain was forecast
- Credit: Archant
The unsuspected good weather ironically disappointed fundraisers organising a school spring fair in east London.
The weather forecast was for rain, so Bethnal Green’s Oaklands Secondary decided to stage it indoors instead of in the open air.
The sun suddenly made an appearance after all—but too late to get all the stalls and attractions switched to the playground.
Takings were only £200, unlike last year’s £600 when the spring fair was in the open.
Oaklands holds fairs three times a year at Old Bethnal Green Road, so there’s hope July’s summer fair brings in the crowds to raise funds for school trips.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone can hire a stall and the public can buy or sell. Even head-teacher Patrice Canavan hired a stall herself and made £46 for the school.
Popular attraction was the cake decorating workshop with primary schoolchildren making a bee-line for the free goodies. Other stalls sold baby clothes, keys rings or crafts.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 6 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 9 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley
“This event brings the community together,” the school’s Susan Sibley-Mason said. “We have a creative community who were selling Mother’s Day gifts, toys, glasswear, crafts and food from around the world.”
The Summer Fair on Sunday, July 9, opens 10.30am until 2pm. Hiring a stall is £8, from Susan on 020-7729 5308 (after the Easter break), or email email@example.com.