Sure Start centre in Tower Hamlets cancels children activities
Parents have been left feeling “sad” and “frustrated” after a children’s centre in Tower Hamlets appear to have closed.
Earlier this year the council announced there would be no closures of children centres despite budget cuts.
But according to parents children’s activities and classes at Little Oaks Children’s centre in Bethnal Green have been cancelled without clear information about what is happening to the Sure Start centre. Calls to the centre in Pelter street are being diverted to Meath Gardens children’s centre in Smart Street, Mile End.
Mums Kate Levick, 34, and Jyotie Khan, 32, have both been taking their babies to classes such as baby massage and sensory baby activities at the centre, which also ran parenting support services. They both said the centre had been “really important” for getting out with their babies and meeting other mums.
Kate, whose baby Fergus is nine months said: “It’s really sad and frustrating. There has been no information about what is happening. It’s a very difficult situation for staff who seem to be unable to say what’s happening. It’s obviously not being managed very well.”
You may also want to watch:
The council has yet to clarify whether the centre is closed.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided