Sure Start centre in Tower Hamlets cancels children activities
Parents have been left feeling “sad” and “frustrated” after a children’s centre in Tower Hamlets appear to have closed.
Earlier this year the council announced there would be no closures of children centres despite budget cuts.
But according to parents children’s activities and classes at Little Oaks Children’s centre in Bethnal Green have been cancelled without clear information about what is happening to the Sure Start centre. Calls to the centre in Pelter street are being diverted to Meath Gardens children’s centre in Smart Street, Mile End.
Mums Kate Levick, 34, and Jyotie Khan, 32, have both been taking their babies to classes such as baby massage and sensory baby activities at the centre, which also ran parenting support services. They both said the centre had been “really important” for getting out with their babies and meeting other mums.
Kate, whose baby Fergus is nine months said: “It’s really sad and frustrating. There has been no information about what is happening. It’s a very difficult situation for staff who seem to be unable to say what’s happening. It’s obviously not being managed very well.”
You may also want to watch:
The council has yet to clarify whether the centre is closed.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 4 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school