Sure Start centre in Tower Hamlets cancels children activities
Parents have been left feeling “sad” and “frustrated” after a children’s centre in Tower Hamlets appear to have closed.
Earlier this year the council announced there would be no closures of children centres despite budget cuts.
But according to parents children’s activities and classes at Little Oaks Children’s centre in Bethnal Green have been cancelled without clear information about what is happening to the Sure Start centre. Calls to the centre in Pelter street are being diverted to Meath Gardens children’s centre in Smart Street, Mile End.
Mums Kate Levick, 34, and Jyotie Khan, 32, have both been taking their babies to classes such as baby massage and sensory baby activities at the centre, which also ran parenting support services. They both said the centre had been “really important” for getting out with their babies and meeting other mums.
Kate, whose baby Fergus is nine months said: “It’s really sad and frustrating. There has been no information about what is happening. It’s a very difficult situation for staff who seem to be unable to say what’s happening. It’s obviously not being managed very well.”
You may also want to watch:
The council has yet to clarify whether the centre is closed.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 6 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 7 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime