Police ‘wanted for questioning’ at Swanlea School’s Whitechapel careers fair
- Credit: Zara Islam/Swanlea
The police and Home Office have been answering questions from schoolchildren in the first ever careers fair staged by Swanlea Secondary in Whitechapel.
Professionals from organisations in industry and commerce set up stalls with information about jobs to inspire students.
The 30 organisations included the London Air Ambulance in Whitechapel, Canary Wharf Group, the Met Police, Home Office, Department of Work and Pensions, NHS, Bank of America, VISA credit cards, University College London and Goldsmith’s University.
“The students were genuinely interested and asked many questions,” the London Air Ambulance organisation’s Rhiannon Evans said. “It’s nice to build a local connection as the Air Ambulance is right across the road from the school.”
The purpose was to help think about career choices and highlight different paths they can take.
Some pupils even applied to do work experience during the summer holidays.
The youngsters also showed “a positive attitude to police work”, according to the Met’s Jeremy York.
- 1 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 2 Abba Voyage: A spectacular trip into an enchanted world
- 3 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 4 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 5 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 6 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 10 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
The Department of Work and Pensions identified career goals from pupils that show “they have real passion and ambition”.
The careers fair was also a chance for those interested in the building industry to learn about and get an insight into Structure Tone construction company, one of the organisations from industry that had an information stall.