‘Swanleaf’ design pupils take leaf out of TV’s Adam Frost’s book for royal horticultural show
- Credit: Swanlea
TV’s top garden expert Adam Frost comes to east London on Thursday to help pupils at Whitechapel’s Swanlea Secondary build a display garden for the Royal Horticultural Society’s Hampton Court flower show in July.
Year 9 pupils calling themselves ‘Team Swanleaf’ entered the Horticultural Society’s Plan It competition for schools last term.
They came up with a garden design for the flower show, led by DT teacher Chris Nairn, which beat all the rival schools.
“This is a huge learning experience for our pupils,” Chris said. “They have to build their design from a scale model to full size over the next few weeks, as well as grow the plants for the project.
“It provides an opportunity for them and helps the school support ‘greener’ living.”
You may also want to watch:
The Horticultural Society asked the Swanleaf team to build a ‘real life’ version of their winning design for the prestigious Hampton Court summer show.
BBC Gardeners’ World presenter Adam Frost, who is a Horticultural Society ‘ambassador’, is helping the pupils with ideas when he looks in at the school to give invaluable advice. He is a leading garden designer who has won several Chelsea gold medals.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020