Top grades for East End A Level students at Sir John Cass
HUNDREDS of teenagers were celebrating last Thursday after scoring A and AS Level results that will set them on to the path of success to their future careers.
HUNDREDS of teenagers were celebrating yesterday (Thursday) after scoring A and AS Level results that will set them on to the path of success to their future careers.
This is the first year of the new A* grade where students must score over 90 per cent in their final exam and 13 students at Sir John Cass Redcoat and Foundation in Stepney got the top grade.
Councillor Helal Abbas, Leader of Tower Hamlets council, joined jubilant pupils at the school as they opened their results.
Councillor Abbas said: “I am absolutely delighted for our young people. This great set of results not only reflects their hard work but also the high quality teaching and support at Tower Hamlets schools.
You may also want to watch:
“We are fortunate to have dedicated and inspirational teaching and school staff who work tirelessly to raise education standards. We must also recognise the contribution of parents who really engage in their child’s learning, encouraging them to do their best – which has really paid off.
“A and AS Levels are a vital stepping stone for young people moving onto higher education; they are the future workforce of our country and deserve the very best education we can give them.”
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Sir John Cass headteacher, Haydn Evans, said: “I am extremely proud of our students.
“They have shown dedication and hard work throughout the year and I know that they will go on to achieve even greater things.”
And Mr Evan’s pupils were celebrating too, James Hoang, 18, from Poplar, got two A*s and an A.
James is off to University College, London to study Physics.
He said: “I am really happy and relieved I got the A for physics. It was the hardest exam I’ve done. I would not have got on my chosen course without it.”
Robyn O’Connor, 18, achieved two A*s, an A and a B. She will be studying Law at Queen Mary University.
She said: “This is a truly amazing day. I still can’t believe how well I’ve done. There’ll be lots of celebrating later!”
Sabhina Begum, 18, achieved an A* and two As and will be studying psychology at City University.
She said: “I feel ecstatic. I wasn’t expecting this at all. To get these results is totally amazing.”