Top marks for Tower Hamlets schools
A spate of top marks for Tower Hamlets schools means that 82 per cent of the borough’s children are now attending a primary school rated “good” or “outstanding” by education watchdog Ofsted.
Tower Hamlets teachers and council chiefs were already celebrating after Ofsted’s annual report, published in November last year, showed 73 per cent of youngsters in the borough enjoyed being educated by “good” or “outstanding” nursery or primary schools – compared to the national average of 68 per cent.
Now, following a new batch of inspections carried out after the annual report was compiled, the figures have jumped again.
Ben Johnson Primary School, in Harford Street, Stepney, was upgraded from a “satisfactory” rating in its previous inspection in summer 2011 to a “good” rating in December 2012.
And Holy Family Catholic School, in Wades Place, Poplar, also improved enough to a attain a “good” rating, as did Mowlem Primary, in Mowlem Street, Bethnal Green, and Christ Church Primary, in Brick Lane in Spitalfields.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Oliur Rahman, cabinet member for children, schools and families, said: “Our schools are providing an excellent level of education for our children and young people.
“We know that a good education can provide the foundations for a successful career and excellent career opportunities. That is why we are committed to making education an on-going priority in Tower Hamlets.”
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney