Tower Hamlets’ best young speaker unveiled
An inspirational young speaker from Sir John Cass’s Foundation and Redcoat School emerged victorious in the Tower Hamlets regional final of a public speaking challenge.
Omar Mohammed’s speech on “independent thinking” wowed judges to scoop top prize in the competition, which was organized by the charity Speakers Trust and the Jack Petchey foundation.
The year 10’s effort was chosen ahead of 15 other pupils taken from 12 schools in Tower Hamlets.
His teacher at the school in Stepney Green, Byron Stanley, said: “It was an honour to be here at the regional final and I am extremely proud of Omar.
“It was a most interesting topic but he believed he could pull it off and he did.”
You may also want to watch:
The final was held at Swanlea School, Whitechapel, last Tuesday.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion