Tower Hamlets council announces details of education award to help school-leavers
School-leavers in Tower Hamlets have until December 14 to apply for help from the council in funding their further education.
Details of Mayor Lutfur Rahman’s Education Award have been announced which is designed to help students who would previously have received the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).
They will receive �400 per academic year to be spent as they choose, on travel and books for example.
It is designed to support students who come from families with a household income of less than �20,817 in 2010 to 2011.
Successful applicants will have been 16 to 18 years old on September 1 or up to 21 years old for people with special needs or learning difficulties and only lower sixth-form students will be eligible in the first round of applications.
You may also want to watch:
However Year 13 students who were refused the EMA and whose circumstances have changed can still apply.
Applicants must also have lived in Tower Hamlets for three years except if holding full refugee status or if being looked after by the council and not receiving the 16-19 year old bursary.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
They will be attending school or college and applying for a nationally accredited further education course.
The first set of grants will be paid next January and the award is to be introduced in stages while some students still receive the EMA.
For further information call the council’s benefits team on 020 7364 5001 and download an application form at www.towerhamlets.gov.uk.