Tower Hamlets council announces details of education award to help school-leavers
School-leavers in Tower Hamlets have until December 14 to apply for help from the council in funding their further education.
Details of Mayor Lutfur Rahman’s Education Award have been announced which is designed to help students who would previously have received the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).
They will receive �400 per academic year to be spent as they choose, on travel and books for example.
It is designed to support students who come from families with a household income of less than �20,817 in 2010 to 2011.
Successful applicants will have been 16 to 18 years old on September 1 or up to 21 years old for people with special needs or learning difficulties and only lower sixth-form students will be eligible in the first round of applications.
However Year 13 students who were refused the EMA and whose circumstances have changed can still apply.
Applicants must also have lived in Tower Hamlets for three years except if holding full refugee status or if being looked after by the council and not receiving the 16-19 year old bursary.
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 4 Burial and cremation fees rise at City of London Cemetery and Crematorium
- 5 An afternoon you will remember: Alcohol-free comedy club returns to east London
- 6 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 7 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 8 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 9 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 10 Wrap a Hug: baby slings bring east London parents together
They will be attending school or college and applying for a nationally accredited further education course.
The first set of grants will be paid next January and the award is to be introduced in stages while some students still receive the EMA.
For further information call the council’s benefits team on 020 7364 5001 and download an application form at www.towerhamlets.gov.uk.