Tower Hamlets girl is crowned Trainee of the Year
An 18-year-old girl from Tower Hamlets has been crowned Trainee of the Year by the City Lord Mayor.
Gertruda Dargeviciute, from Mile End, spent this summer learning the tricks of the legal trade at City law firm DWF LLP.
The former Bishop Challoner Catholic Collegiate School pupil competed against hundreds of other young Londoners to secure her placement before beating over 100 other trainees to take the top spot.
Her placement is part of a scheme offering state pupils from some of the capital most deprived boroughs paid summer work at top City firms.
She was presented with her award by Lord Mayor Michael Bear at last Monday’s evening’s City of London Business Traineeship Award at Deutsche Bank in the City.
You may also want to watch:
Gertruda was nominated by her employers for her positive attitude, innate business acumen and unrelenting commitment to her role.
Gertruda said: “My experience was absolutely phenomenal. It has given me a great taste of working life and the fact I got to spend time in each and every department has really helped inspire me as to my end goal within Law.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 3 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 4 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Unmesh Desai: British Bangladeshi community is important part of the East End
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
“Since the age of 10 I have been determined to become a lawyer and this has really helped make the dream a reality, and contribute financially to my university life.”
Gertruda’s placement was part of the City of London Business Traineeship scheme funded by the City of London Corporation and delivered by the Brokerage Citylink. The scheme gives state school pupils from some of the capital’s most deprived areas a chance to work at top City firms.