TV’s Julia Kendell gives St Paul’s Whitechapel ‘60 minute makeover’ with willow tepee
- Credit: St Paul's School
Television’s celebrity interior designer and presenter Julia Kendell has helped children in London’s East End add a touch of green to their school by planting a fun new willow-tepee in the playground.
Julia, who presents BBC TV’s DIY SOS and 60 Minute Makeover, has joined a schools project by Trees for Cities charity to improve the inner cirty urban environment.
She turned up at St Paul’s Whitechapel C of E Primary in Wellclose Square to help plant a willow tepee and put in a garden stove in the playground.
“It is great helping the children,” she said. “They have an opportunity to see first-hand the work that Trees for Cities is doing to make inner cities more beautiful.”
Julia joined the youngsters to help plant the willows and install the wood-burning stove which has three functions for the outdoor space, a garden table and fire-pit as well as a cooking grill.
You may also want to watch:
Her team helped the pupils plan, dig and plant the willow-tepee — then joined them for some healthy food cooked on the stove after the “sixty minute makeover”.
The charity got a sponsorship deal from Stovey environmental garden stove makers for the project, aimed at giving children first-hand experience of planting and growing trees, while improving school playgrounds to encourage children to learn about “the importance of trees” and their lifecycle.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided