Two Tower Hamlets schools are ready to find new homes
Two Tower Hamlets schools could soon be on the move after the council gave the go-ahead for design plans to be drawn up.
Bow Boys School of Maths and Computing in Paton Close, which Mayor Lutfur Rahman is a former pupil of, will find a new home at a site next to Bow Locks, between the A12 and the River Lea.
Tower Hamlets cabinet members agreed that the school could move to the development site, which is owned by the council and which was previously considered for housing and hotel use.
Beatrice Tate School in St Judes Road, a secondary school for around 60 pupils aged 11 to 19 with special education needs, is also being considered for a switch from its current home near Cambridge Heath rail station to Southern Grove in Mile End.
The cabinet asked for designs to be outlined before approving the relocation.
You may also want to watch:
Bow Boys, a secondary school for over 650 pupils aged 11 to 16 needs to find a new home because of size constraints in Paton Close.
The cabinet paper said the Bow Lock site offered “a better configuration and layout for a large secondary school, whilst still providing external spaces as well as a good outlook towards the river.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
An area of concern raised is access to the site and the council is seeking funding from Transport for London for improvements.
A council spokeswoman said the level of total funding for the development was still to be confirmed but bulding work could start as early as this Spring.