Walking tours led by homeless guides discover London from an alternative perspective
As part of today’s World Homeless Day alternative London walks with homeless guides, covering Tower Hamlets, are being offered at a discount to Advertiser readers.
Unseen Tours, a social enterprise launched a year ago, by Lidija Mavra of Westferry Road on the Isle of Dogs, has recently expanded to other cities worldwide including Melbourne, Poland, and Copenhagen.
Led by homeless guides with their own distinctive styles and life histories, each tour has its own personality, uncovering a city’s hidden history and present-day reality from their perspectives.
“These are tours with a social conscience, appealing to city-dwellers and visitors alike, and anyone who wants to connect with people from different walks of life,” explains Lidija.
The walks provide an alternative take on well-known landmarks such as Brick Lane, Borough Market, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, Hoxton Square and Covent Garden, while exploring an area’s quirkier nooks and crannies.
You may also want to watch:
The majority of ticket revenues go directly to the homeless guides themselves.
As part of World Homeless Day last Monday (October 10) Unseen Tours, normally costing �5 to �8 depending on individual circumstances, is offering a �1 discount to readers quoting East London Advertiser, either booking in advance or turning up on the day. The discount is available until December 31. Contact email@example.com, or visit www.unseentours.org.uk for more information.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 7 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 8 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020