Watney Market Library closes ahead of opening of new facilities
The library in Watney Market closed its doors for the last time before a new £4.5million Idea Store opens in May.
The last day of March saw the library welcome its last batch of enquiring minds before the new building opens on May 14.
Tower Hamlets Council, which runs the library in Shadwell, said the renovation would mean more space for residents, and a wider range of services on offer.
Mayor Lutfur Rahman said: “We are bucking the national trend and investing in library services whilst other local authorities are being forced to close or reduce their provision due to government cuts.”
The new facilities are also set to include a new ‘One Stop Shop’ where residents can access council services and advice.
You may also want to watch:
The eco-friendly Idea Store will be the only public building in Tower Hamlets with solar panels and a green roof.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney