WinterFest by Bethnal Green Academy set to raise £2,000 for Crisis at Christmas
- Credit: BG Academy
School students in London’s East End are busy at their academy with a WinterFest of arts, sports and culture to raise money for the Crisis homeless charity for Christmas.
The festival is now in its third week at Bethnal Green Academy, with the target to raise £2,162 for the charity to give a place to 100 homeless people over the Yuletide.
The festival includes a Winter Fayre with stalls and activities next Tuesday at the campus in Gosset Street, off Columbia Road, 4.30 to 6.30pm, with parents invited.
“The winter festival gives our students opportunities to work together to develop ideas, skills and be creative,” Deputy Principal Jennie Montgomerie said. “It brings all our work together and shows what we are good at, from card-making to singing carols, storytelling and acting.”
They have reached almost 80 per cent of the WinterFest target so far, totalling £1,721, but are hopeful they can make it 100 per cent by December 25.
The money will help Crisis provide shelter to many who need it at Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
The charity’s events organiser Ammina Hamed said: “The WinterFest is a brilliant way to raise money—it’s thanks to the students and teachers that we’re able to transform the lives of homeless people all year round.”
The eager youngsters began the festival with a Crisis appeal when tutor groups donated their loose change, which got the fundraising off to a flying start. Theatrical activities began with performances of ‘The Woman in Black’ and ‘A Christmas Carol’, with Year 12 on stage at Dalston’s Almeida theatre.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 5 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 6 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 7 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 8 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 9 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 10 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
A Christmas album produced and recorded by the students is also being distributed, with proceeds donated to Crisis. Other fundraising events include switching on of the school’s Christmas lights, an outdoor concert, a bake-off contest, art competitions and carol singing in Columbia Road.