Elderly tenants helping police after 73-year-old woman was killed in their block
Elderly tenants in a Bethnal Green block where a 73-year-old woman was killed on Wednesday have been interviewed by police to help them in their murder investigation.
The tenants were this afternoon said to be “deeply upset” by the death of Eileen Jones who was found in her flat in Mandela House, Virginia Street when police were called shortly after 6am.
The block houses elderly and infirm residents, many of whom have disabilities of some sort.
Those who need it are now being offered counselling.
William Bremer, 87, who lives two doors down from the flat Mrs Jones lived in, said: “All we know is that someone died but not in a natural way. No-one’s told us anything.
You may also want to watch:
“There are lots of elderly and disabled people here. I should think people are worried.”
A spokesman for Gateway Housing, which looks after Mandela House, said: “There is a police investigation going on and we are cooperating with that.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 10 Man who died in Mile End park named
“This tragedy has had a profound impact on us all.
“Staff, residents and their families alike are deeply upset by what has happened.
Our deepest sympathy goes out to the victim’s family, with whom we have built a close relationship over the years.”
Ms Jones has yet to be formally identified but her family has been informed.
A post mortem was carried out yesterday at Poplar Mortuary and police are awaiting the result.
Two men, one aged 59 and the other 45 were arrested close to the scene shortly after the body was found.
A 46-year-old woman was also arrested later on in connection with the death.
They are in custody at separate east London police stations.
An incident room has opened at Barking under Detective Chief Inspector John Sandlin from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command.
Any witnesses or anyone with information should call 020 8345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.