Elderly Tower Hamlets residents invited to attend free tea parties
As the clocks get set to go back an hour this weekend and the long winter evenings draw in, a charity has invited pensioners to beat the winter blues by joining its social group in Tower Hamlets.
Contact the Elderly, a national charity dedicated to tackling loneliness and isolation among older people, wants the borough’s seniors to attend free parties to enjoy afternoon tea, cake, and good company one Sunday each month.
A volunteer driver will take the guest to and from the host’s house.
Contact the Elderly’s north London development officer, Izzy Wise, said: “Activities for people aged 75 and above are normally limited to weekdays, so Sunday can be a particularly long and difficult day.
“Our tea parties are therefore perfect for brightening up the winter months and represent a great opportunity to make new friends within the community, to get out of the house and to generally have a good time!”
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets residents, aged 75 and above, who live alone and are interested in joining the parties, should call Izzy on 020 8445 1333 or email email@example.com.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park