Elderly women denied NHS cancer treatment’ claims East London MP
ELDERLY women being denied proper breast cancer treatment have won backing from an East London MP. Leyton’s Harry Cohen is to “fight inequality in the NHS” after hearing mounting evidence that older patients did not have equal access to treatment
ELDERLY women being denied proper breast cancer treatment have won backing from an East London MP.
Leyton’s Harry Cohen made his commitment “to fight inequality in the NHS” after hearing what he said was mounting evidence that older patients did not have equal access to treatment.
“Ensuring all patients in East London get fair treatment regardless of age is an important issue,” he said. “Anyone who feels they did not receive full access to treatment because of age should get in touch with me.”
He joined a campaign launched this week by the charity Breakthrough Breast Cancer which is highlighting those women it says have been denied treatment in radiotherapy, chemotherapy and surgery over the last 10 years that has improved survival chances of younger patients.
You may also want to watch:
Women over 80 are 40 times less likely to receive surgery than younger patients, says the charity. Older women are also less likely to receive breast-conserving surgery or chemo chemotherapy and radiotherapy, it has found.
A third of all breast cancers occur in women aged 70 and over, the charity points out. Experts predict a rise from nearly 46,000 women today to 57,000 by 2024, an increase of a fifth in the next 14 years.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 5 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 6 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 7 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?