Election 2010: Ed Milliband pledges support to Jim Fitzpatrick at Isle of Dogs visit
ENERGY SECRETARY Ed Milliband was on the Isle of Dogs today, preaching Labour s message on climate change and helping to give some zip to local Labour candidate Jim Fitzpatrick s election campaign. Mr Milliband visited St John s Community Centre in Glenga
ENERGY SECRETARY Ed Milliband was on the Isle of Dogs today, preaching Labour's message on climate change and helping to give some zip to local Labour candidate Jim Fitzpatrick's election campaign.
Mr Milliband visited St John's Community Centre in Glengall Grove this afternoon (Tuesday) to pledge his support to his cabinet colleague.
The boundaries of the old constituency of Poplar and Canning Town, held by Labour since 1997, have been changed to include parts of Shadwell, St Katherine's Dock and Wapping.
New developments have attracted upwardly mobile professionals into Docklands, which the Tory and Lib Dems are hoping to translate into votes.
You may also want to watch:
The decision by Respect's George Galloway to move from Bethnal Green and Bow to fight Poplar and Limehouse was condemned by Mr Milliband as "opportunistic". Labour's energy supremo said he had come to drum up support for Jim Fitzpatrick, who he described as "a real fighter for the area."
He said the choice on May 6 was between Labour and the Tories, but admitted it would be a tough fight, adding: "Voting for anyone else will simply let David Cameron into power.
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 6 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf