Election 2010: Ed Milliband pledges support to Jim Fitzpatrick at Isle of Dogs visit
ENERGY SECRETARY Ed Milliband was on the Isle of Dogs today, preaching Labour s message on climate change and helping to give some zip to local Labour candidate Jim Fitzpatrick s election campaign. Mr Milliband visited St John s Community Centre in Glenga
ENERGY SECRETARY Ed Milliband was on the Isle of Dogs today, preaching Labour's message on climate change and helping to give some zip to local Labour candidate Jim Fitzpatrick's election campaign.
Mr Milliband visited St John's Community Centre in Glengall Grove this afternoon (Tuesday) to pledge his support to his cabinet colleague.
The boundaries of the old constituency of Poplar and Canning Town, held by Labour since 1997, have been changed to include parts of Shadwell, St Katherine's Dock and Wapping.
New developments have attracted upwardly mobile professionals into Docklands, which the Tory and Lib Dems are hoping to translate into votes.
You may also want to watch:
The decision by Respect's George Galloway to move from Bethnal Green and Bow to fight Poplar and Limehouse was condemned by Mr Milliband as "opportunistic". Labour's energy supremo said he had come to drum up support for Jim Fitzpatrick, who he described as "a real fighter for the area."
He said the choice on May 6 was between Labour and the Tories, but admitted it would be a tough fight, adding: "Voting for anyone else will simply let David Cameron into power.
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Mum praises 'amazing' NHS staff who saved 'precious' tot's life
- 9 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 10 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6