Election 2010: Electoral Commission 'closely monitoring' claims of East End vote rigging
ELECTION experts have defended the voting system this week as a new storm broke over ballot box fraud. The Electoral Commission has said it will continue to monitor the situation closely in the East End after the latest claims of vote rigging. Peter Wardl
ELECTION experts have defended the voting system this week as a new storm broke over ballot box fraud.
The Electoral Commission has said it will continue to monitor the situation closely in the East End after the latest claims of vote rigging.
Peter Wardle, Chief Executive of the Electoral Commission, said: "Everyone's vote needs to be carefully protected, and all of us involved in ensuring these elections are well-run take the security of every vote very seriously indeed.
Extra security checks were introduced in 2006, so this is the first time they've been in place for a general election.
You may also want to watch:
Registration officers have new powers to check people registering to vote are who they claim and, where appropriate, remove them from the electoral register.
Anyone registering to vote by post also has to provide their date of birth and signature so this can be checked when their vote is cast.
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 3 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 4 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 5 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 6 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 7 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
The Commission's joint report with the police on the June 2009 elections in Great Britain showed they were free from major allegations of electoral fraud.