Election 2010: Facebook attack on Tower Hamlets council candidate fuels anger
A LABOUR council candidate is threatening legal action over an allegation made on social networking site Facebook. Rania Khan has written to Abul Hussain, Respect s prospective council candidate for St Dunstan s and Stepney Green, demanding he remove what
A LABOUR council candidate is threatening legal action over an allegation made on social networking site Facebook.
Rania Khan has written to Abul Hussain, Respect's prospective council candidate for St Dunstan's and Stepney Green, demanding he remove what she says are 'defamatory remarks' from Facebook's website.
Mrs Khan, the cabinet member for Regeneration and Localisation, is standing for election in Bromley-by-Bow.
She is a former member of the Respect party, leaving to join New Labour in summer 2008.
The allegations appeared earlier this week and have been captured in a screengrab by Mrs Khan. She is insisting they are taken down immediately.
Mrs Khan told the Advertiser: "This has been posted on his website because I'm a threat to their party.
- 1 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 2 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 3 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 4 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 5 London among areas where drought is declared
- 6 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Wellens wants fans 'out in force' as Leyton Orient host Mansfield
- 9 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 10 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
"There have been no arrests and no raids at my house.
"If this remark is not removed I will pass the case on to my lawyers."
The threatened action comes after Mrs Khan was named during a press conference given by George Galloway MP as being involved in alleged election fraud.
Mrs Khan denies all allegations.
Mr Hussain was unavailable for comment.