Elvis impersonator leads Bethnal Green home in rock and roll Christmas
Elvis Presley was famous for having a Blue Christmas but residents at a Bethnal Green care home were delighted when The King paid a visit last Friday.
The Silk Court home in Ivimey Street welcomed Elvis impersonator Gary Redpath to launch their Christmas activity programme and sing some of Presley’s rock-and-roll classics.
Elvis fan and resident Beatrice Berry, 81, said the performance took her back to the Swinging Sixties.
She said: “Hearing the songs now reminds me of when I was younger, doing the rock ‘n’ roll dances.
“Holding such events as the Elvis performance is fun.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s always lots of interesting activities organised here, especially the baking sessions and the quizzes.”
Friend Andrew Corr, 82, who has lived at Silk Court for nine years, said: “My favourite Elvis hit is Blue Christmas, especially at this time of year because it reminds me of the fun times I had during Christmases past.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 10 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
“I liked his songs because they are good tunes to listen to.
“I bought so many of his records when I was younger.”
Silk Court manager Marcia Forsythe explained that residents chose to have the modern-day King visit them because the original singer had such a huge impact on their lives.
She said: “We organise a lot of different activities here as it’s important for the residents’ mental and physical well-being as well as it being fun.”