Engineering work on the Tube spoils festival events
Dear Ed, JONATHAN Fryer in his letter refers to a coordinated’ transport system for London rather than an integrated one. I agree that planned engineering works often spoil events, like those during last year’s Greenwich & Docklands festival when punters were forced onto expensive riverboats
JONATHAN Fryer in his letter refers to a coordinated’ transport system for London rather than an integrated one (Advertiser Website Letters, May 22).
I agree that planned engineering works often spoil events, like those during last year’s Greenwich & Docklands festival weekend when an important link between Canary Wharf and the O2 at Greenwich Peninsular was severed by curtailment on the Jubilee Line—punters were forced onto expensive riverboats.
What I am less enthusiastic about is an increase in journey time on buses which make their way into congested transport hubs in the pursuit of providing a more accessible service.
Buses often stack up’ during peak times at Stratford and Walthamstow bus stations, as a result of traffic signals allowing just a few onto the main road at a time.
Canary Wharf is another example where D7 buses call, before venturing to the rest of the Isle of Dogs. Another is the 108 which negotiates a circuitous route round the Greenwich peninsula calling at the O2 before deciding to stall for a while because it’s running early.
No wonder people would rather turn to their cars!
- 1 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 2 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 3 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 6 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
Meadow Close, Hackney Wick