Engineering work on the Tube spoils festival events
Dear Ed, JONATHAN Fryer in his letter refers to a coordinated’ transport system for London rather than an integrated one. I agree that planned engineering works often spoil events, like those during last year’s Greenwich & Docklands festival when punters were forced onto expensive riverboats
JONATHAN Fryer in his letter refers to a coordinated’ transport system for London rather than an integrated one (Advertiser Website Letters, May 22).
I agree that planned engineering works often spoil events, like those during last year’s Greenwich & Docklands festival weekend when an important link between Canary Wharf and the O2 at Greenwich Peninsular was severed by curtailment on the Jubilee Line—punters were forced onto expensive riverboats.
What I am less enthusiastic about is an increase in journey time on buses which make their way into congested transport hubs in the pursuit of providing a more accessible service.
Buses often stack up’ during peak times at Stratford and Walthamstow bus stations, as a result of traffic signals allowing just a few onto the main road at a time.
You may also want to watch:
Canary Wharf is another example where D7 buses call, before venturing to the rest of the Isle of Dogs. Another is the 108 which negotiates a circuitous route round the Greenwich peninsula calling at the O2 before deciding to stall for a while because it’s running early.
No wonder people would rather turn to their cars!
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
Meadow Close, Hackney Wick