Engineering work on the Tube spoils festival events
Dear Ed, JONATHAN Fryer in his letter refers to a coordinated’ transport system for London rather than an integrated one. I agree that planned engineering works often spoil events, like those during last year’s Greenwich & Docklands festival when punters were forced onto expensive riverboats
JONATHAN Fryer in his letter refers to a coordinated’ transport system for London rather than an integrated one (Advertiser Website Letters, May 22).
I agree that planned engineering works often spoil events, like those during last year’s Greenwich & Docklands festival weekend when an important link between Canary Wharf and the O2 at Greenwich Peninsular was severed by curtailment on the Jubilee Line—punters were forced onto expensive riverboats.
What I am less enthusiastic about is an increase in journey time on buses which make their way into congested transport hubs in the pursuit of providing a more accessible service.
Buses often stack up’ during peak times at Stratford and Walthamstow bus stations, as a result of traffic signals allowing just a few onto the main road at a time.
You may also want to watch:
Canary Wharf is another example where D7 buses call, before venturing to the rest of the Isle of Dogs. Another is the 108 which negotiates a circuitous route round the Greenwich peninsula calling at the O2 before deciding to stall for a while because it’s running early.
No wonder people would rather turn to their cars!
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
Meadow Close, Hackney Wick