English National Ballet join bhangra dancers help launch The Big Dance in Spitalfields
BALLLERINAS from the English National Ballet joined leading dance world figures at the launch of the world s largest dance festival last week. The dancers joined flamenco dancers, lindy-hoppers, Bollywood and bhangra dancers at the Big Dance event in Spit
BALLLERINAS from the English National Ballet joined leading dance world figures at the launch of the world's largest dance festival last week.
The dancers joined flamenco dancers, lindy-hoppers, Bollywood and bhangra dancers at the Big Dance event in Spitalfields Market last Wednesday.
More than 60 dancers from all over London took part in a 10 minute extravaganza of ballet, hip-hop, jazz, contemporary, salsa and ballroom dance alongside the professional dancers from the English National Ballet East London Dance, Greenwich Dance Agency, Sadler's Wells and Siobhan Davies Dance on a specially designed mirrored dance floor in the centre of the market building.
The Big Dance will take place from July 3-11 this year and again in Summer 2012, just before London's Olympic and Paralympic Games, with hundreds of events already in London.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: "Anyone switching on the television lately cannot fail to have seen how enormously popular dance is. Big Dance is a terpsichorean feast that takes it quite literally one step further.
"We want to get as many people moving as possible this July and afterwards, to 2012 and beyond.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week