Waste ‘crisis’ danger debated at Tower Hamlets Town Hall
PUBLISHED: 12:21 03 February 2015 | UPDATED: 12:21 03 February 2015
A load of rubbish was discussed at last week’s full council meeting in a debate on the future of waste management in Tower Hamlets.
Councillors passed an emergency Labour motion at the January 21 meeting that called for keeping a waste depot in the borough to stop rubbish mounting up due to long journeys for bin men.
It comes after the cabinet scrapped plans earlier this month for the borough’s £416million waste contract for the next 16 years that suggested using a waste depot outside Tower Hamlets.
The Labour group warned of a “waste crisis” if the matter is not resolved – but the council said it has a contract with Veolia and no plans to change this.
Cllr Rachael Saunders, leader of the group, said: “Mayor Rahman has failed to clean up Tower Hamlets politics – he could now cause a waste management crisis if he fails to listen to local people and their concerns about his plans.”
Labour councillor John Pierce added: “Mayor [Lutfur] Rahman’s obsession with outsourcing public services means he is not looking at getting the best deal for residents.”
They added other options should be considered and encouraged residents to join their “Clean Up Tower Hamlets” campaign, supported by MP Jim Fitzpatrick, who said: “Clean and tidy streets are an essential part of a decent neighbourhood.”
A council spokesman said: “The council has a commitment to ensuring litter and other municipal waste is disposed of properly and recycled where possible.
“We have an ongoing contract with waste management service provider Veolia who remove waste efficiently and effectively and there are no plans to change this working arrangement.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.