Essam back at Dover
- Credit: Archant
Young defender has gone back to National League club on loan
Leyton Orient defender Connor Essam has rejoined former club Dover Athletic on loan until the end of the season.
The 23-year-old captained the Whites last year, but departed in the summer in search of a return to the professional game.
He linked up with Ian Hendon and Andy Hessenthaler at Brisbane Road after previously being with the pair at Gillingham.
Initially the young central defender made an excellent impression and started the O’s first 18 matches in all competition.
You may also want to watch:
Alongside captain Mathieu Baudry, the former Crawley Town ace looked very assured and demonstrated his obvious talent.
But he ruptured ankle ligaments against Accrington Stanley on October 31 and didn’t return until Boxing Day against Portsmouth.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 9 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
Essam didn’t seem fully fit, though, and make a number of uncharacteristic mistakes before Hendon was sacked.
He started under Orient player-manager Kevin Nolan, but lost his place after a poor performance against Cambridge United at the end of January.
Now the former Dover man will hope to inspire the National League club to the Football League.
The Whites are fourth in the table and currently in the play-offs with nine more matches of the campaign remaining.
After only signing a one-year deal in the summer, Essam will hope to either impress O’s enough to get another contract or catch the eye of potential suitors.