Europe’s biggest indoor go-karting company opens new track in Docklands
- Credit: Archant
The biggest indoor go-karting company in Europe has opened a new track in the Docklands to give thrill seekers their very own taste of Formula One.
The 800m-long circuit, formerly known as the Raceway Docklands, is owned by UK karting franchise TeamSport and located just a single Tube stop from Canary Wharf, near to North Greenwich.
Featuring a brand new fleet of 270cc LPG karts, racers can reach speeds of up to 40 miles per hour, although at just two inches off the floor it can feel twice as fast.
Designed to encourage healthy competition among friends and families, precision electronic timing systems are so advanced that every lap is recorded to an accuracy of 1/1000th of a second.
Large screens and print-outs also allow drivers to compare results around the nine-cornerd track – and check out technique.
You may also want to watch:
Go-karting has long had an association with Formula one with the likes of Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso among many others beginning their careers on the karting circuits.
And this relationship is acknowledged with a full-size Formula One Ferrari hanging from the wall above the reception desks.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Man found stabbed on board night bus
Of course the centre doesn’t just cater for experienced professionals and little Lewis Hamiltons can also show off their racing skills in specially designed top-of-the-range ‘cadet’ karts.
Managing director of TeamSport’s Dominic Gaynor, commented: “Karting is the most driving fun you can have off the pro circuit – and the TeamSport London Docklands track provides the best facilities in the UK for any wannabe racing drivers out there.
“Many Formula 1 drivers started their careers this way – and drivers such as Jensen Button and Mark Webber still kart regularly.”
Booking is essential. For more information call 0844 998 0844 or visit team-sport.co.uk/london-docklands.